CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 16, 2008

Unprepared

One of my pet peeves: being a working mother.

Not much around that though. Today, Diamond's school celebrated their 20th year building anniversary. They called it Dia de Los Ninos Celebration y Street Dance. It was going to be a special day. They were having this big parade, showing off their projects they made during enrichment week, and a talent show.

This was going to be Diamond's first talent show. A talent show I hesitated for her to be in because I did not want her to get discouraged (which I know we, as parents, should never do.) We cannot protect our children from being hurt all the time and I am glad I signed the permission slip and allowed her to do it because it was a very proud moment for me. She did very well. All of the kids did, even the ones who just did hula hoops around their neck to the tunes of High School Musical were adorable.

It's 5:15 and I leave work and get home to get everything ready. I am rushing because we have to be at the school at 5:45 in order for her to be in the parade. I grab the digital camera and the video camera and push my parents out the door and we're on our way. We make it to school on time and all of the parents patiently wait for their kids to show up in the parade. Here comes Diamond's class and I'm looking all over for her and there she is in front of me. I was so blind. So I'm trying to snap a picture and it keeps giving me an error message... I open the camera and there is no memory stick in it. Great, just great, Pauline.

Later in the evening, the talent show starts. We watch all of the cute acts and here I am saving all of my video camera's battery power for Diamond's act. She is called and approaches the piano. Again, I turn on the video camera to record her performance, hit record, and a stupid icon keeps flashing through the LCD. Goodness gracious, Pauline, there isn't a tape in there!

So, all I have is a memory and this blog post to help me remember my child's first performance in front of a large audience. She played beautifully, but I could tell she was nervous. At the end of her performance, she scurried off stage. I wish I had it on tape... or maybe even just a photograph...

No comments: