CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Watching her grow

Three weeks ago, Chapter One was preparing for their big school year kick off service held this past Monday. When we broke into our small groups, each person in the group wrote down a name of someone we had in our heart that we wanted to pray about – whether it be for them to start coming to Chapter One or just to pray for them.

Immediately, I knew who I wanted to put down – someone I regularly pray for. When I moved to San Angelo, she became my first friend. Next month, marks five years of friendship between us. I know it's silly, but we always celebrate this with the anniversary day of our work. We started work on the same day and on my first day when I had nowhere to go for lunch, she offered to take me with her. Getting to know her a little better on our drive to lunch, I find that we are around the same age, we were going to work in the same department, and we have the same story – we were both single moms to preschoolers. This helped us in building a relationship together because although there were four of us who started work that day, me and her still remain close friends. When we finished training, we actually were separated and moved to different offices. We tried to remain close, but of course, with everyone’s busy schedule, it was difficult at times. Over the years, I have watched my friend go through hard times. She has questioned God and sometimes couldn’t understand why He would allow her to face such trials. No matter what happened though, she continued to be in my heart. I couldn’t give up. I knew this girl was special and God had something awesome in store for her.

So, I wrote her name down. That evening, instead of going back to where we regularly sit, we were asked to stay in our small group and sit with them during the service. When it was done, we were asked to pray in our group for the people on the list. Our small group leader decided instead of her praying over all of the names, we should each pray for the name we put down. We did know them better and we knew their situation. When each of us prayed, I could just feel God’s presence there as we made our requests and lifted these people up to Him.

The following Monday, I was not able to be at Chapter One due to being in Florida. The amazing thing is, she e-mailed me at work asking me what time Chapter One was but she got my “Out of Office” reply. She did not know I prayed for her the week before nor have I mentioned Chapter One to her other than the stories I share about services. Although I haven’t invited her in a while, she has always known the door is open. This past Monday, the Monday of the kick off service, I didn’t return to work yet so I had no idea about the e-mail. I texted her and invited her and her sister… and to my surprise, she said she would come. I was EXTREMELY excited. God never ceases to amaze me. They both really enjoyed the service and their kids even were little helpers in the nursery.

My friend is growing. She has started attending church regularly again and is doing so much to improve her and her family. She has overcome the struggles in her life and it shows. God is placing so many things in her heart and everyday she shares them with me. Last weekend, she told me she anonymously made goody baskets filled with crafts she made to place on her neighbors’ doorsteps. She is on fire for God and this is the happiest I have ever seen her. I am very proud of my friend and it just fills my own heart with this great feeling of joy seeing her this way.

“Therefore, encourage each other and strengthen one another as you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11

I know God is looking down and smiling. I know I am.

7 comments:

kelli said...

Pauline that is an AMAZING story...I'm so happy that you allowed God to use you to be the exact friend that she needed. I'm encouraged!

mari said...

Ok, so I'm seriously sitting here bawling now.
I met your friend that night (and her sister) - I should get to know her too since I'm a momma also.

Anonymous said...

What a great story, I agree with Kelli, I feel encouraged! =) I will keep her in my prayers as well, her and her sister are great people.

rhondamarie said...

thanks for sharing that story. God is so awesome!!!!

rhondamarie said...

oh and before you know it d will be telling you about a boy who likes her and she just might like him back. they grow up so fast.

SarahMc said...

Amen. That is awesome. Like the others have said, I'm encouraged also.

marme said...

I remember when a sweet single mom with the most precious little girl hiding behind her leg came to church for the first time...

my how she has grown in Jesus in the last few years.

I know she was being lifted up in prayer too.